Saturday, April 2, 2011

Naps and Sippy Cups



Just prior to taking some time off this week to chill out and relax at home with the J man, our sitter informs us that A) Jack is still taking 2 naps a day (1 45 min morning nap and an afternoon with the kidos) and B) she finally got him off of bottles. That means no more bottles before nap, and milk in his sippy cup with meals. C) J is not using his little boy sippy, he's in a big boy sippy, one that he can't tip over and press down and make soup of his meals with.

Here I was just starting to get real annoyed with J that he was making "soup" with his meals routinely now. It didn't even dawn on me that he was needing a big boy cup.

So over the week while daddy was at home (I unfortunately didn't have enough vacation to take the whole time off with them) we quickly found out through trial and error, that Jack has eliminated his morning nap. By doing this he is sleeping through the night! He'll get up maybe around 430 or 5am, want an early morning bottle, down it and then zonk out for another hour or so. He gets a little fussy during the morning without the nap, but the tradeoff for a sound nights sleep is well worth it.

As for the sippy cup/no bottlef issue, I'm not 100% myself switched over to no bottles before nap. We're still working on that at home. Slowly but surely we'll be done with bottles before nap....it will be gradual, but at least I know he's not doing it at his sitters.

As for his big boy sippy cups...the day that she told me about this I busted out the 10 million playtex sippy cups that I had waiting for him. I had purchased a pack, and a few were given to us. I filled it up and, yeah....Jack didn't care for them. I thought, ok I'll give it some time. After some more time with him trying to use it, he found them slippery, hard to handle, too hard to suck and the sucker part was very shallow. So I quickly texted my sitter to find out what she was using. It was a different kind which I need to look at her brand when we go back on monday, but I remembered that "babysteals.com or kidsteals.com" had a day when they had "klean kanteens sippy cups" on a deal for the day. I had one ready and waiting for him when the time came. I started using it yesterday and omg, not only does J LOVE it, I love that he's getting enough liquid and not having to suck so hard, it's easy to handle, the sipper is long just like he likes, and it's super durable and eco friendly for the plus :) AND he's not making soup!!!

I just can't stop raving about this sippy cup!! Sean laughs at me b/c I won't shut up. The only down side is that they are pricey ($14-16). But I do believe that when they are done with the sippy cup stage, I can purchase a new top and make it into a sport cap top for about $5.

So I think it's safe to say some lucky person will be getting most of my playtex sippy cups unfortunatly :( But I love the Klean Kanteen!

No comments:

Post a Comment